Thursday, June 30, 2011

Communication Strategies

How you will use the communication stratiegies as a professional

My first year in a kindergarten classroom I had a student who chose not to speak, they called this selective mutism. Throughout that school year people would say, "she doesn't talk" and I would say, "what are you talking about, this girl talks all the time. Sometimes she talk so much I have to walk away." Actually, she didn't talk. Not to me or anyone else in the school, but I never stopped saying how much she talked. even though she did not talk to me I continued to talked to her. I would even have other students engaged in conversation around her. Every day I made it a point to engage her in conversation. I asked her about her family. I talked with her about the class assignments. I talked and waited. Nothing happened that year. So the next year I was placed in her 1st grade classroom. I started the same routine all over again, talking and waiting. I even gave her my phone number. And one day to my surprise she called me. She said, "Ms. Albritton" and started laughing. This was an example of what I knew about communications in the classroom.
I will use communication strategies in my classroom to do the following:
                      a. to encourage language learnig through social interactions
                      b. to deminstate how to make verbal choices and to initiate and interact in conversation
                      c. to increase students vocabulary
                      d.to listen to and respond to students conversation.
.                     

3 comments:

  1. LA,

    That is great what you did. You didn't see this child's lack of communication as a disability and by doing that you encouraged her. It was a gift that you were able to work with her for 2 years to encourage her to talk. Obviously she was able to complete the assignments and was performing near grade level if she was able to move to first grade. How is she doing now? Are you still at the the same school as her?

    Thanks for sharing!
    Have a great weekend.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. LA,

    I like how you handled this situation. You continued to immerse your student in language even though she never responded vocally. Did she show interest with her eyes or respond with body language? What a wonderful outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great way to get the student to communicate. We have to think positive. It was great you work with her for the next year. It was a gift that God had in his plan for you to help this child to talk. You was able to encourage her even though it may have been a disability. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete