Saturday, June 25, 2011

Focus Child's Motor and Self Help Skills

My focus child gross and fine motor skills were in developmental range. What he did need help in was remembering to wash his hands after using the bathroom without being asked, told, or prompt. To assist him in this self help task. I placed a poster, inside the bathroom door and on the closet door in front of the bathroom, to remind him to wash his hands when he finish using the bathroom. I monitored his progress by observing how many times he used the bathroom and washed his hands without being prompt. He knew the steps to washing his hands he just was always in a hurry to find out what the class was doing (when he finished using the bathroom) that I think he just forgot to wash his hands. After the posting of the posters he would come out to check to see what we were doing then he would go and wash his hands. I had to remember not to say anything to the child before he had time to follow through, giving him a chance to remeber to wash his hands. Sanitation is an important part of staying health. I sent home a copy of, "I Wash Our Hands After.." to his mother. I hope see will post it in the bathroom for my focus child as a reminder for him, when he gets in a hurry.

2 comments:

  1. That was a good idea to send a copy home to the mother. A lot of children are not taught to wash their hands after using the bathroom. I hand to remind my students in my Kindergarten class. One day we had a lesson on sanitation and how important it is to stay healthy. After teaching this lesson the students that did not usually wash their hands after bathroom usage begin to wash their hands without me ask did you wash your hands. I had the hand wash poster on the wall in the bathroom by the sink and on the bathroom door inside and outside. This poster have the pictures and the words to let the students know to wash your hands. However some of the students did not get the picture. The poster is done at a child level to understand what needs to be done. Your focus child do not want to miss anything. I have had some of them type students in a hurry can not miss anything.They had to be where the happens are because it is more important then self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is great that you sent home a letter to his mother. If she is able to motivate him to wash his hands at home at night and on the weekends, it will hopefully transfer over to school. He seems like a busy boy and doesn't want to miss anything that is going on in school. A schedule with pictures does help to make it fun. I hope that this schedule works for him.

    ReplyDelete