Sunday, July 24, 2011

Inclusion

I believe inclusion in some cases benefit the student. Inclusion allows student's the opportunity to engage with their peers. This is especially important for students with special needs for social/emotional development skills. Inclusion also allow regular students to develop empathy for others and to appreciate the differences of others.

I don't think that inclusion is beneficial to those student that have sever and/or profound disabilities. Yes, I believe all students should be provided the same opportunity for a quality education. I just don't think that a student that requires special assistance would benefit from an inclusion classroom. I would not want to walk into a classroom and see a student sitting in a corner or off to the side somewhere, in the classroom, not being engaged. That would break my heart. First for the student but also for the teacher who has 20 other students with needs. As it stands with our school system at present without funds, personnel, and resources I don't see how inclusion would work for all students with special needs.        

No comments:

Post a Comment